Thursday, January 26, 2012

BETWEEN THE STARS - A BENEFIT FOR TRANSITIONS




I remember listening to the mastered version of this record for the first time. I was riding the bus to my shit job, elderly people were coughing out into the aisles, a toothless man in sweatpants was screaming at the driver, a dude was talking on speaker phone behind me, all as the familiar trash lined streets of Philly whizzed by. With my headphones tucked into my ears, I listened. As the bus cut through Philly I made my way through the Threads recordings, smiling at first, then grinning, then laughing. Everything around me was absurd. The day-to-day life of public transportation, aging, working, constant frustration, this city and all its anger. Listening to our record right then, I saw my off-tour home/"real" life for the ridiculous thing that it is. I wasn't part of it, not really. When you're like me, which if you're reading this you probably are, then you're never really part of it. As I sat there laughing to myself on a bus full of degenerates  listening to my own band, I thought... this is what it is to be a hardcore kid. Nothing feels real but this. It's all for the birds, but this.

When we recorded Threads, we recorded 2 extra songs to release as a benefit for TRANSITIONS, an amazing organization in Phnom Penh, Cambodia that helps restore the lives of girls rescued from sex trafficking. And now it's finally happening. 

We're self releasing these recordings on cassette (available in person from us and online after we get back from tour in March) and on bandcamp, where you can stream it for free and pay whatever you want for it. 100% of the money we get will go to Transitions. The fist pressing (99 tapes) will raise over $700 alone. We're not a big band. Never have been, never will be. But even a little band like us can do big things. Hardcore changes US, and through US can change everything. Don't let this scene be just music. It is so, so much more.

With all our love to the girls at Transitions and James and Athena Pond who make it happen, here's BETWEEN THE STARS. Share widely and donate generously.


No comments:

Post a Comment