Friday, May 22, 2009

tour update #9, Berkley-Fresno, California

We started our big day off in Berkeley. We met up with my, previous to this day, internet friend Jon. People can talk all the shit they want on myspace, but I have met so many rad people through that site, him being one of them. We met up at Whole Foods.... and who was working but Dustin from Gather! Crazy silly small world! Jon, his friend, Wes, the dudes and I all headed to Telegraph Ave to accomplish our one and only goal of the day: to eat cheap and delicious vegan burgers and fries at Smart Alec's. Mission accomplished.



After that we hit up some record stores to touch things we couldn't afford to buy. Then it dawned on us... wait, we're in a band, and we just put out a record! We rushed to the "K" section and this is what we saw:



Pierce found out from an employee that they had sold out of "The Rage That Guides" the day before. We were SO psyched. That means AT LEAST like 3 copies have sold! Billboard chart, here we come.

Remember our friend Core who we ran into in Springfield, Ill? (...he took those rad photos and lived in South Africa for awhile?) Well, it just so happened that he was staying with his girlfriend in Santa Cruz on that very day, and offered us floor space and showers for the night. After bidding my now real-world friend Jon goodbye, we hopped in the van and headed south. After a short drive that led us out of the city and into the dark and lush scenery of Santa Cruz's winding and almost horror-movie-esque roads, we pulled up to a big house and Core standing outside, looking very much the same as a week ago in the midwest but with much more flattering an atmosphere surrounding him. We all stayed up telling tour stories till the cartoons on the tv were over and our eyes fell shut. Well, most of our eyes...

Jon, knowing that I enjoy coffee, have offered me a cup before we left Berkeley. So, despite my body desperately wanting sleep, my mind made it impossible. Dave ("Mother Hen" of the Euro tour- my best friend and always attentive care taker- whether I like it or not), dog tired but pretending not to be, stayed up all night with me and we fell asleep whispering and giggling, per usual, as our tours and probably all tour are just, as I've said before, traveling sleep-away camps.

We awoke to the Core The Wanderer special- breakfast enough to feed a vegan army. Hashbrowns, tofu scramble, toast, tempeh bacon, coffee, and tea. We raved over his scramble, but he shooed away our compliments as he had just a week before with the same, "You can feed a touring band just about anything and they'll think it's the greatest thing they've ever eaten!"... which is probably true, but whatever.

We went to downtown Santa Cruz with only a little time before had to jet, so we ran into the local health food store to grab some treats. Core was talking to someone who worked at the store as I scanned the aisles for what exactly to spend my hard earned gambling money on (dark chocolate covered raisins won), and I heard a familiar voice answer back. I turned around, and low and behold, there was my friend Courtney who used to live down the street from me in Philly! Her shift just happened to be over, and we all walked around the uninteresting landscape of downtown Santa Cruz (surf shop, dress shop, hippy shop, hippy surf shop that also sells dresses...) and she updated me on the last few months of her life. (The last I had seen her was when she was awaiting a ride to North Carolina at my place in Philly, and a cop broke in, threatened to pistol-whip and pepper spray her boyfriend for not having ID on him. The cop, a few minutes later, apologized, blaming his "bad social skills".) Travels, shows, food, breakups. The usual. I traded my similar stories, and by the time we had condensed 6 months into 10 minutes we were all back at the van, then came a round of "See ya when I see ya!"s, and off to Fresno for our second show with The Wrath.

This is what I have to say about Frenso:

Dear Have Heart,

Please stop playing cities the day before we do. Kids spend their whole nights moshing to you and they are tired when we get to them. Your shirts are so irresistible that they spend all their money re-doing their wardrobes in HH merchandise, then, while they may be looking fly, they can no longer to afford to come see us- and if they do, they can't even scrounge enough change for a 1" straight edge pin. You are too likeable. Please stay at least 5 states away from us.

Love (kind of...),

Kingdom

(ps- Horizons and REBUILT played this show are were fucking rad. Also, the kids who did come out to this show- all 20 of them- were awesome.

pps- Thanks to the infoshop for letting us crash and making us pancakes!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment